First Fiesta Friday offers new festivities

Emily Flores

Senior Jeremy James, goes up to make the shot during Fiesta Friday. Where first ever senior vs staff basketball game was played. (file photo) (Veronica Godoy )

After a year and a half of distance learning, sophomore Madyson Phillips is excited to experience Fiesta Friday for the first time. 

“I am excited due to the fact that I’ve heard it brings everyone together to enjoy music and food,” Phillips said. “I am planning to talk to people I haven’t spoken to.” 

Fiesta Friday will be taking place on Sept. 17 in the Grove at the front of the school. There will be music, a Club Rush and a student vs teachers basketball game hosted by Leadership. Students who wish to sign up for the game can contact members of Leadership. 

“I can’t wait to hear the music and try the new events,” senior Nadia Montiel said. “It’s nice to attend school again.”

As it is the freshman and sophomore’s first time on campus, Fiesta Friday is an opportunity for them to meet new people.

“I’ve been trying to become more outgoing in high school to meet new people and I’m sure Fiesta Friday is going to help me out a lot in that area,” freshman Genesis Cuellar-Figueroa said. 

In the past, students would buy a dance ticket in exchange for a slice of pizza. This was a big part of the current senior class’ fundraising. In order to adhere to the guidelines of selling pre-packaged food, pizza will not be sold during Fiesta Friday. Students and staff will also have to keep some distance from one another as part of the guidelines.

“Everyone still has to distance themselves because LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District) said that in order for us to keep making the events, the students and the staff still have to socially distance,” Principal Armen Petrossian said.