A look into Petrossian’s first year as principal

Evan Gleason

Principal Armen Petrossian works in his office at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School. Petrossian’s first official day as principal of DPMHS was on Oct. 5, after the previous principal stepped down. (Elishava Ibarra)

As Principal Armen Petrossian finishes his first year, he reflects on his experience at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School. During this interview, he speaks on his experience leading the school during a remote learning school year.

Q: How was your first year at DPMHS?

A: It was amazing. I found that people think I’m flattering but this school is an amazing school, with amazing kids who have preserved and continue doing what they do. What was amazing was the 250 student population. What happens at this school is unbelievable. Kids get things done.

Q: What were some of the challenges you faced?

A: I would have to say trying to keep everyone safe. The challenge was trying to tell an amazing group of seniors that we couldn’t do the things that we wish we could do for them.

Q: How was the hybrid learning with students on campus? 

A: Hybrid learning on campus we have a student body of 250 kids and 35 decided to come back. Now we get anywhere from 17 to 18 kids. On a selfish level, I got to meet some of the kids.

Q: What was the most difficult part of being a principal during distance learning?

A:  For me, it hasn’t been a big adjustment. It didn’t come from me, it came from teachers and students. My world was to support teachers in whatever capacity I could. The majority of the adjusting was them.

Q: What are some of your plans or goals for the next school year?

A:  I want to bring back some of the things that were fun like Fiesta Friday, teacher-student basketball games, activities for seniors, mentorship between freshman and seniors.

Q: How is this school different from others you’ve worked at? 

A:  There‘s a system of support for kids here like a social worker, an amazing counselor, an incredibly inclusive and accepting campus. We put the focus on the kids of this school, kids who are on cruises or need attention. We give it to them.