"The Voice" comes to DPMHS

By: Jake Dobbs.

Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s (DPMHS) music program has faced a struggle to survive over the last three years. However, this uncertainty has encouraged DPMHS’ only music teacher, Jackie Gorski, to aim high so that the program can prevail.

As a result, she participated in a contest in which producers from NBC’s “The Voice” visit high schools and select one to sing with last season’s finalist Terry McDermott. The DPMHS choir was chosen and will perform McDermott’s new song “Pictures” with choir members for a commercial on April 20.

The commercial is part of a program sponsored by NBC, “The Voice,” Donors Choose and Kia Motors to help improve four high school music programs in Los Angeles.

Representatives from NBC's talent show "The Voice" visited the campus to discuss shooting a commercial here with teacher Jackie Gorski and her students. During their visit, "The Voice" producers had students Michella Mousaed, Jennifer Berrios and Patrick Avognon (The Pearl Post Opinion Editor) sing for them. Photo by Jake Dobbs

As part of the program, the school will be given money and equipment for its music program. But, the details of how much money or what equipment will be donated are unknown at this time.