As the school year ends, senior activities become virtual

As the school year comes to a close, senior activities have been revised and graduation will be virtual due to the pandemic COVID-19 and social distancing.

Principal Pia Damonte still wants to give seniors the activities that were meant to be memorable for them. 

Prom was planned to be on May 16 at The Odyssey Restaurant in Granada Hills but was later canceled. LAUSD understood the difficult situation seniors are going through in their last year of high school, which is why they held a virtual prom for the seniors on May 30. Seniors will receive their refunds for their senior package, according to Damonte.

“Since I had already bought my dress, I got ready as I would have if the event would have happened,” senior Silvanna Nuñez said. “Even though I didn’t get to see my friends in person, we still called on that day to see each other. I’m just trying to make the best out of each situation.” 

On May 28, Daniel Pearl Magnet High School had its Senior Awards Night via Zoom. Students were still able to have their families next to them as they received their awards, though still disappointed to not be with friends and classmates. On June 9, DPMHS will be having a graduation drive-thru celebration from 1 to 3 p.m. During this drive-thru celebration, seniors will be able to pick up their honor cords, achievement medals, yearbooks and cap and gown. 

There will be no senior breakfast this year, but there will be a senior brunch hang-out Zoom on June 10 at 11 a.m., allowing one last time for everyone to see each other before their virtual graduation.

Grad Nite, usually at  Disneyland Adventureland, has also been canceled, especially when many amusement parks are entirely closed to the public. Graduation is the main event that has affected many seniors and their families, being the most important event after a student spent 12 years of hard work. 

“Graduating virtually seems very anticlimactic but I guess it’s the best we can do,” senior Alan Ly said. “I was hoping for a real graduation,” 

Graduation is on June 11 and many seniors have accepted their ceremony to be held via Zoom at 5:30 p.m. The keynote speaker is Steve Padilla, Column One editor at the Los Angeles Times. Diplomas will be delivered to the school in mid-June. Once they are delivered, DPMHS will send a notice to families and students to pick-up their diplomas in the parking lot.

“We will host a Zoom viewing party for everyone to watch the event together, but it will be available for viewing on our website after the set graduation time,” Magnet Coordinator and class sponsor Leah Pevar said.