Scholarships With Approaching Deadlines

Alliana Samonte

Counselor Martina Torres has posters outside her office advertising possible scholarships.

Valery Barrera

As students focus their attention on college admissions, many are turning towards scholarships as an aid for tuition. Here are some scholarships you can consider. 

Technology Addiction Awareness Scholarship

Amount: $1,000  

Awards available: 1  

Deadline: Jan. 30

Eligibility: Must be between a High School Freshman and a Graduate Student- year 5

Description: You must be a U.S. citizen or legal resident and submit a 140-character message that relates to technology addiction to qualify for this award.

Courageous Persuaders Video Contest

Amount: Up to $3,000  

Awards available: 14  

Deadline: Jan. 31

Eligibility: Age must be at most 19 and you must be between a high school freshman and high school senior

Description: To be considered you must create a 30 – second television commercial targeted at middle school students to warn them about the dangers of underage drinking or texting while driving.

Easy $1,500 Scholarship: Ready to vote? Quiz 

Amount: $1,500  

Awards available: 1  

Deadline: Jan. 31 

Eligibility: Age must be at most 25

Description: Take and share our online quiz with friends on everything you need to know to vote in the upcoming elections. You’ll be entered to win.

Travel Is Education Scholarship– 

Amount: Up to $1,000  

Awards available: 4  

Deadline: Jan. 31

Eligibility: Age must be at most 18

Description: Is open to U.S. students in grades 6 through 12. You must submit a two-dimensional artwork, photo, or writing (maximum one page) on the theme of “Becoming a Global Citizen”. You must be traveling on an American Council for International Studies (ACIS) tour between October 15, 2019 through October 14, 2020, in order to qualify for this award.

National Ag Day Essay Contest

Amount: $1,000  

Awards available: 2  

Deadline: Jan. 31

Eligibility: Must be between a high school freshman and a high school senior

Description: You must submit an original essay of 450 words or less, or a two-minute video, on the following topic: “Food Brings Everyone to the Table”

EngineerGirl Essay Contest

Amount: Up to $500  

Awards available: 3  

Deadline: Feb. 1

Eligibility: must be between a high school freshman and a high school senior

Description: Is available to male and female students. You must write an original, fictional story in which the main character is a female who uses engineering skills to solve a problem. Your main character must use engineering design principles to solve a problem, she cannot use or rely on magic or supernatural powers.

Desire to Inspire Scholarship Slam

Amount: $1,000  

Awards available: 1  

Deadline: Feb. 6

Eligibility: Age must be between 13 and 25

Description: What is something that inspires you? We want to know how you’ve found inspiration. Maybe you found it talking to someone new? Exploring your surroundings? A book or other work of art that really hit you in the feels? Who knows, your story might just inspire someone else! Tell us in a poem about what inspires you for your chance to win.

“Sleep Works For You”  Video Contest

Amount: Up to $500  

Awards available: unspecified  

Deadline: Feb. 7

Description: You must submit a 30 – second to two – minute video motivating teens to prioritize the importance of sleep in their lives.

$2,500 Easy Scholarship: Make a card/letter for a veteran – 

Amount: $2,500 

Awards available: 1  

Deadline: Feb. 8

Eligibility: Age must be at most 25

Description: Use your creativity to make an appreciation card for military service members, veterans and their families. You’ll help them feel connected to home and automatically be entered to win a $2,500 scholarship.

ExploraVision Science Competition

Amount: Up to $10,000 

Awards available: 8  

Deadline: Feb. 10

Eligibility: Age must be between 14 and 21

Description: You must work in a group of two, three or four students. Each team will select a technology that is present in the home, school and/or community and explore what the technology does, how it works and how or why it was invented. All applicants must be citizens of the United States or Canada to be eligible.