Patriots look for win before season ends

Maribella Ambrosio

Freshman Isaiah Herrera catches a pass during practice on Sept. 13.

Sara Marquez

As the school year continues, Friday night lights roll in and the Birmingham Community Charter High School (BCCHS) Patriots prepare for their 2019 football season. 

The team is 0-5 and has yet to win a game this season losing their last game to Notre Dame High School 39-3 on Sept. 19. Their next game is on Oct. 4 against El Camino Real Charter High School.

The players are working to boost their positive attitude and determination for a win. 

“Our goal as a team is getting more physical and getting more into the game,” freshman junior varsity wide receiver Isaiah Herrera said.

Unlike last year, the Patriots are now able to play in their field for home games again. Last year, due to turf renovations, the BCCHS Patriots had to hold their home games at Grover Cleveland Charter High School. The Patriots are playing this upcoming week at El Camino Real High School.

Ending with a 5-4 record last season, the junior varsity team hopes to improve this season. Anticipating to win at least five to six games this season, the players are optimistic about working to better the team.

“What has helped is just staying positive and mentally understanding the plays,” sophomore JV quarterback Christian Tapia said. 

Though the numbers have not necessarily been in their favor, the coach works with the JV players to keep pushing.

“We always do a prayer with the coach before any game and we listen to his speeches,” Tapia said. 

As the season continues and the team keeps persisting, the Patriots are looking forward to new faces in the stands. 

“People should go to games to support the team and to see how the team worked throughout the summer,” Tapia said.