Schaffter retires after nearly two decades of teaching

File Photo

Schaffter decided to retire this year as it was the earliest he could do it and still get his benefits. He plans to do many things with his wife while on retirement that includes a lot of traveling.  

Mahali Sanchez

After almost 20 years of teaching, science teacher Stephen Schaffter says good day to Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) as he heads toward retirement.

He first studied at Pierce College, then at the California State University of Northridge (CSUN) where he graduated in 1979. While there he, learned to work as a librarian at CSUN, ran a bookstore for Goodwill Industries and was an instrumentation engineer where he was in charge on designing on how to tell people how to manufacture pressure sensors before deciding he wanted to teach.

Initially, while majoring in physics, Schaffter thought he was going to teach that subject. However, when he got his teaching credential in 1980 at CSUN, the Los Angeles Unified School District was not hiring. It wasn’t until 20 years later he decided to use his credential and teach chemistry and physics.

His first job as a teacher was at the Birmingham High School magnet program, where he taught for 10 years. He decided to remain with DPMHS when the school separated from Birmingham, which became a charter school in fall 2009.

“Mr. Schaffter has contributed so much for our school for so many years,” said math teacher Leslie Hicks. “I am also definitely going to miss him being part of our team but I’m looking forward to helping his legacy continue.”

Schaffter has changed many activities to DPMHS including restorative justice, Pearl Con and the House system. Schaffter spent two years learning the Restorative Justice program. While undergoing training for it, he saw an opportunity to implement it at school. In regards to the annual Pearl Con event, Schaffter founded it with science teacher James Morrison four years ago. The original purpose of the event is to bring together the community of gamers and comic fanatics within the student body. Yet, as it entered its fourth year, it’s become a community event welcome to all.

Nonetheless, Schaffter has maintained his contribution as a sponsor of the Anime and Gaming Club, DPMHS’ longest running club.

“He has provided everything for the gaming club,” sophomore Stephanie Pynes said. “Without Mr. Schaffter, the gaming club wouldn’t be a thing.”