• February 45-week grades will be sent home Feb. 15

• February 4Parent workshop will be on Feb. 27 @8:15 a.m.

• January 24Senior panorama picture will be taken Wednesday, Jan. 30

LA has been on the bench for three decades, now it’s the city’s time to shine in this year’s Super Bowl

Back to Article
Back to Article

This year's Super Bowl will take place on Sunday, Feb. 3 at 3:30 P.M. on CBS.

Kirsten Cintigo

Kirsten Cintigo

Kirsten Cintigo

Casey Wanatick

As the Super Bowl LIII comes near, sports fans across the nation come together to watch the rematch between the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles (LA) Rams. This highly anticipated, yet not expected game showcases the storied franchises battle for the coveted Lombardi Trophy.

Both teams will be facing off in the big game for the second time this Sunday. The last time the two teams went head to head was in 2001 when the underdog Patriots beat the LA Rams 20-17 with a game-winning field goal.

The city of LA went three decades without a team before the Rams moved back here three years ago. LA sports fans have not experienced their home team in the Super Bowl since the LA Raiders (now located in Oakland) won in 1984.

On the other hand, the Patriots will be playing their third Super Bowl in a row with their ninth under legendary quarterback Tom Brady and future Hall-of-Fame head coach Bill Belichick. The Patriots are coming off a tough loss from last year when they lost to the Philadelphia Eagles 41-33.

Yet, the Rams come into the game with a defense that ranked an underwhelming 19th place. However, they have superstars like defensive lineman Aaron Donald and cornerback Marcus Peters. The team recently came off a 26-23 conference championship win against the New Orleans Saints in which the Rams held the Saints to 50 total rushing yards and forced a Drew Brees interception in overtime. With a surging offense that includes breakout quarterback Jared Goff, MVP-caliber running back Todd Gurley, along with a top 10 offensive line, the Rams look like the clear pick to take home the win.

It could be thought that this game would be different than the last time, but the Patriots enter the game as the underdog yet again. The Patriots have been struggling all season with bad play-calling mistakes and defensive woes that have cost them games even though they still boast a top five offense and a mediocre defense.

With almost all odds pointing to the Rams as the winner, there is still one person that can get the Patriots their victory. That person is Brady.

Brady can never be ruled out in the playoffs. The Super Bowl will be his 40th career playoff game which is more than 18 NFL teams. He is currently 29-10 in the playoffs and is 5-3 in the Super Bowl.

Still, the question remains if Brady will earn his sixth ring and further solidify himself as the greatest football player of all time or if Goff and the Rams will take home their first-ever Super Bowl victory. Either way, Super Bowl LIII is one to write in the history books.

Casey Wanatick, Staff Writer

Casey Wanatick is a staff writer for The Pearl Post. It is his first year on staff. In his free time, he enjoys playing basketball, video games like NBA...

Kirsten Cintigo, Editor-in-Chief

Kirsten Cintigo is the Print Editor-in-Chief for this year's Pearl Post Print Publication. This is Cintigo’s third year on staff. She enjoys watching...