• March 18Juniors will take the SAT on March 27

• March 18Open House will be from 5-7 p.m. on March 21

• March 18Japanese American National Museum field trip on March 20

BCCHS coach faces molestation charges

Girls Lacrosse Coach Scott Silva was arrested on Nov. 16.

Photo released by LAPD

Itzel Luna and Casey Wanatick

Birmingham Community Charter High School’s (BCCHS) girls lacrosse coach and science teacher Scott Hughes Silva awaits a pretrial hearing on Dec. 11 on 24 counts of sexual misconduct.

Silva, who entered a plea of not guilty, is currently in custody at the Los Angeles county jail with  $495,000 bail where Detectives of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Sexually Exploited Child Unit began their investigation into the accusations against Silva on Nov. 1. The charges were filed on Nov. 16 and a warrant in the amount of $400,000 was issued for Silva’s arrest, according to court documents. He was arrested without incident according to the police press release.

A restraining order was filed against Silva to stay at least 100 yards away from both BCCHS and Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS) as well as the 13 named victims. According to the court documents, there is a possibility of more victims.

Silva is charged with six counts of California penal code section 243.4(A) which states that “any person who touches an intimate part of another person while that person is unlawfully restrained by the accused or an accomplice, and if the touching is against the will of the person touched and is for the purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual abuse, is guilty of sexual battery,” and three counts of California penal code section 288(c)(1) which states that “lewd and lascivious acts on a minor ages 14 and 15 years old.”

According to criminal case summary, he was also charged with 14 counts of California penal code section 647.6(A)(1), which states that “every person who annoys or molests any children under 18 years of age shall be punished by a fine not exceeding five thousand dollars ($5,000), by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by both the fine and imprisonment.” And one count of California penal code section 236. This code section states that “intentionally and unlawfully restrained, detained or confined a person; and your act made the person stay of go somewhere against his or her will.”

DPMHS Principal Deb Smith became aware of the allegations on Nov. 16 and has been taking actions to help support the students affected.

“He’s not my employee so there is not really any actions that I need to take except to meet with the students,” Smith said. “I coordinated some connections for the students to people that are investigating the situation.”

A presentation is being organized by school psychologist Eliana Lichtman and social worker JoAnne Tuell with the purpose of helping students speak out about any problems and situations where they are in harm’s way.

“We’re trying to reassure kids that it’s okay to report it. It’s important to report it,” Smith said.

BCCHS athletic director Rick Prizant declined to comment when contacted via email and BCCHS Principal Tracie Bowdoin could not be reached for comment after several attempts to reach her through email and telephone. After trying to reach her through telephone, Silva’s private attorney Michelle Silva didn’t return the multiple calls made.

If anyone has any information regarding this case, please call the Sexually Exploited Child Unit, Juvenile Division at (213) 486-0580, from 7 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

About the Writers
Itzel Luna, Staff Writer

Itzel Luna is a first year staff writer on Daniel Pearl Magnet High School’s newspaper. She hopes to better her writing  and photography skills. When...

Casey Wanatick, Staff Writer

Casey Wanatick is a staff writer for The Pearl Post. It is his first year on staff. In his free time, he enjoys playing basketball, video games like NBA...