• December 9Last day of school is on Friday, Dec. 14

• November 29Winter show will be on Dec. 6

• November 29Winter formal will be held on Dec. 13 from 6-10 p.m.

Fly-In programs prove to be a good way for seniors to take off for college

Senior+Astrid+Cabrera+was+among+one+of+the+many+students+chosen+for+Experience+Colorado+College+in+Colorado+Springs%2C+CO.+The+program+offers+students+a+scholarship+that+includes+a+complimentary+flight+to+CC%2C+housing+and+dining.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Astrid Cabrera was among one of the many students chosen for Experience Colorado College in Colorado Springs, CO. The program offers students a scholarship that includes a complimentary flight to CC, housing and dining.

Photo by Experience Colorado College

Photo by Experience Colorado College

Photo by Experience Colorado College

Astrid Cabrera

Colorado College’s fly-in program is not an experience many seniors get to take advantage of. Traveling 1,000 miles to an unknown state to learn more, broadened my college search and opened up my eyes to a new environment.

From Oct. 27-29, I spent the weekend in Colorado Springs, CO, participating in various bonding activities and college workshops. Through the guidance of college counselor Linda Zimring, a group of seniors from an underrepresented background were referred to a complete list of about 80 all-expense paid fly-in programs to colleges scattered over the country. Each school had its own application that consisted of academic reports, essays and recommendations.

After many sleepless nights filling out over 40 applications, I received an email congratulating me for my acceptance into Colorado College’s (CC) highly selective program called Experience Colorado College: Fall Visit Scholarship Program. In an applicant pool of over 300 students, only 82 seniors from 29 different states were accepted to travel to Colorado and learn more about its academics, opportunities and community. Unlike other colleges, CC awarded me with a scholarship to fly my mother and me, while also providing us with complimentary housing and dining.

This program advocated for a diverse community of students from different backgrounds and aspirations. Learning about the sacrifices each student has made to pursue their own goals for their future was interesting to me. I loved how this college was all for diversity: people with different backgrounds, beliefs, sexual orientations and life experiences.

One of my favorite activities had to be the Dialogue Among Differences, where students talked about the need for diversity, inclusion, intercultural exchange, equity, and empowerment. We examined what makes each of us different and how diverse perspectives are an integral part of the Colorado College community. Speaking to other students of color, I also realized that everyone has made their own sacrifices to accomplish great achievements and continue to persevere to break down racism by overcoming those stereotypes. Meeting a group of students that were just like me only made me want to work harder and be that colored woman that pursued her dreams as a STEM major.

Touring the beautiful campus with its exquisite buildings and an information session about the school’s profile were among the most memorable parts of my trip.

While at CC, I had the chance to take a campus tour, experience the unique Block Plan which allows students to take one class at a time for three and a half weeks, stay overnight in a student dorm, participate in a Financial Aid and Common Application workshop and attend a class. These activities allowed me to broaden my college search to schools out of California.

Fly-in programs have really been life changing for many students such as myself and I think that this can be a perfect opportunity for students at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School to take advantage of. It’s easy, quick and life-changing. And let’s not forget, FREE.