• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

Editorial: The act needs to become a habit

Friendly, courteous students working hard in and out of class may have helped impress the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) for three days when they came to visit our school. But this isn’t behavior that usually takes place on a daily basis.

Students have worked hard to follow directions in the classroom and throughout the day, stay engaged during class time and overall, remain on their best behavior.

Teachers also stepped up their game by writing lesson plans on the board each day and making sure their classroom is a safe and successful place for students to learn.

These changes in behavior have presented a safer, yet increasingly uptight campus atmosphere for staff, teachers and students. With the threat of not being accredited, meaning underclassmen would have to transfer to another high school, looming over us, it’s no surprise everyone has acted with more maturity.

Classes have been calmer, making better working space for both the students and teachers.

However, this should not be the behavior of the student body for the three days of the WASC accreditation visit. This should be the behavior of the student body throughout the entire school year.

As children, we were taught good manners. We’ve all learned to say please, thank you and you’re welcome. However, there’s another side of manners that aren’t always thought of.

Teachers work hard every day to provide students with a well-rounded education that will prepare their students for higher education and their future careers, yet they rarely see gratification for all their work.

Classroom etiquette is not “taught” anymore, rather just briefed in the beginning of the year with directions such as don’t get up without permission and not to call out during lectures and class time.

Another tradition that has been abandoned is National Teacher Day, which falls on May 7, is described by The National Education Association as “a day for honoring teachers and recognizing the lasting contributions they make to our lives.”

Students should acknowledge that even a simple “hello” in the hallways to a teacher or staff member can serve as a reminder to them how much they mean to our daily educational experience.