• October 17Spirit Week will be from Oct. 29 - Nov. 2

• October 17The Great California ShakeOut drill will be on Oct. 23

• October 7Senior portraits will be taken on Saturday Oct. 20

“Avengers: Infinity War” shocks Marvel fans with groundbreaking storyline

Sergio Payeras

Wikimedia Commons
“Avengers: Infinity War” combined every current Marvel movie storyline into an action packed film.

“Avengers: Infinity War,” a film that combines nearly all characters from across the Marvel Cinematic Universe, was called the most ambitious crossover in cinema – and for a very good reason.

Giving each of the beloved characters their own spotlight – all the Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thanos himself and even Stan Lee’s cameo – could not have been an easy task for directors Anthony and Joe Russo. However, the dynamic between the groups that met, as well as the storyline, worked beautifully.

Perhaps the best crossover group was Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Keeping his character rework from “Thor: Ragnarok,” Thor’s performance with Chris Pratt’s “Star Lord” made audiences break out in laughter; a breath of fresh air between all the tense action scenes.

We also continue to enjoy the glorious chemistry between the naive, yet relatable Spiderman (Tom Holland) and the sarcastic Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), only made better by an easily annoyed Dr. Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch).

Much of the fight scene choreography is fantastic and we will never grow tired of Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) or Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) punching and kicking their opponent around like a sandbag. Some of the motion capture effects, however, in characters like Carrie Coon’s Proxima Midnight of Thanos’ Black Order, felt off at times. This was especially true in scenes with heavy CGI like the final battle of Wakanda.

Minor visual issues do not distract from character development at all, though. This film’s villain, Josh Brolin’s Thanos the Mad Titan, received special treatment with a fully fleshed-out character arc. Though not given an origin story like most Marvel villains, his intentions were clear from the beginning, and unlike those villains, we receive a proper, much more insightful look into his character.

Several MCU films were criticized for ineffective villain design, especially forgettable “big, gray villains” like Iron Monger in “Iron Man” and the Asgardian Destroyer in “Thor.” Thankfully, the more recent MCU movies, including Infinity War, have succeeded in fixing this issue. Thanos is no “big, gray villain,” which becomes clear to the audience in scenes that left them screaming at the screen.

In a certain scene, we are shown Thanos’ undying determination in succeeding at his main goal, to obtain all six infinity stones and wipe out half the life in the universe. This particular scene is so powerful that it immediately sets Thanos apart once we know he’s willing to sacrifice anything and anyone to achieve his goal.

As with any Marvel film, we get hilarious one-liners, references and easter eggs. In “Infinity War,” we are treated with a “Spongebob Squarepants” reference, another “old movie” reference from Spiderman (his signature strategy seen in “Captain America: Civil War”) and even an “Arrested Development” character cameo.

True fans will stay in the theater after the end credits get rewarded by an extra scene featuring a teaser for an upcoming film as well as a fan-favorite character.

Though this film was made for avid followers of the Marvel series as it picks up after the events of Phase Three of the franchise, it is not difficult to understand. Even if you have not seen most of the films, “Avengers: Infinity War” is sure to have you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end with lovable characters and pulse-pounding action. Just make sure to use the restroom beforehand; the film is a minute short of two hours and thirty minutes.

About the Writer
Sergio Payeras, Tech Editor
An aspiring writer and poet, the Tech editor of The Pearl post does everything he can to make the tech page attractive and a e s t h e t i c. He likes listening to Boston, The Police and The Raspberries, among other old bands. Though his dream career is in neurosurgery, he still...