Study hall put into place to help struggling students

Angel Van Horn

Angel Van Horn
Certain students are required to attend study hall during lunch in order to catch up with missing assignments and get help from teachers.

Freshmen in need of getting their grades up spend every lunch in room 22 doing homework, catching up on work or studying to improve scores.

“The goal is to help the freshmen improve their grades,” journalism teacher Adriana Chavira said. “They were not successful in their first semester and we want to make sure we give them the tools to do their homework and study and improve their grades.”

For three weeks, some of the struggling freshmen students have been working to bring up their grades in the classes they need help in. Although study hall is held in room 22, it is not just for failing journalism students. Biology teacher James Morrison and math teachers Leslie Hicks and Dan Cramer are among the staff who supervise and provide tutoring.

“I think that it’s important to set up high expectations for students to achieve at their best,” Principal Deb Smith said.  “If students are not passing or doing their best they need to be using some of their social and free time to get caught up with their work.”

During a staff meeting, teachers were placed in groups according to the grade levels they teach. While discussing new ways to help their students improve, the ninth grade teachers agreed on creating a study hall to help their failing students succeed. Study hall is only available for freshmen students to study, catch on work and receive help.

After the spring five-week progress report came out, study hall became an official priority for the freshmen. Every Monday, progress reports are printed and reviewed by the students and Smith to see if their grades are improving. If some students have successfully brought up their grades at the end of each 5-week grading period, study hall is off their schedule and new students who are struggling in their classes will be brought in.

“I think little by little they’re getting their work done,” Chavira said. “We have different people helping them understand the concepts.”