Pain but no strain for runners this challenging year

By Robert Tapia:                                                                                                                                                                          Contributing Writer

Photo by Jake Dobbs. Captain of Track and Field, Luis Solano (left), runs laps with runner Brayan Cecenas (right), on the track during practice.

Athletes come home sore after a long day of practice, outside on the track. This year brings more challenging obstacles for experienced as well as incoming runners.

“I was in so much pain and was sore by the end of the day. I didn’t want to get out of bed the next morning,” said  sophomore Ana Perez, at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS).

Practice for track and field is everyday from 2:25 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Birmingham. The runners will practice on the track at the beginning of the week, Monday and/or Tuesday.

Long distance runners will go out for a long run to Balboa and Sepulveda Dam in the middle of the week, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday they are back on the track with the coach.

As the year progresses, runners will need to practice longer to prepare for their meets in March. Distance runners practice with a daily routine of circuit workouts and build up endurance by pacing themselves on a 200m run.

“I’m building up endurance and mentality, to condition my body for MMA,” said Brayan Cecenas, a senior at DPMHS.

DPMHS students have the opportunity to be a part of Birmingham’s sports teams. Being part of that team means commitment not only to the sport, but also your team members.

The Track and Field team is not only a sport, but also a family. They grow and become stronger together. After the years go by, they must rebuild the team to work as a family again, as they once did.

New members join the team with ambitious goals to become great athletes.

“When I see new members join the group, I try to take them through the motions because I was in that position and I understand how they feel. I try to make them feel like they’re part of this one big track family,” said Luis Solano, captain of Track and Field.