• April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

Four-day school weeks cut spending and stress

By ENRIE AMEZCUA

Staff Writer 

A seven-period schedule has taken a while to get used to for some students here at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS). Little by little, a four-day school week is starting to sound more favorable for both students and teachers.

“It would be really nice and it would make my life easier since it would reduce (my) stress and stress is a bad thing,” junior Melia Person said.

Los Angeles Unified School District’s (LAUSD) financial downfall was recently cushioned by the passing of Proposition 30, which is a four-year temporary tax raise to fund California public schools. Another alternative for schools to help save money could be switching to a four-day school week, starting from either Tuesday ending on Friday or starting on Monday ending on Thursday.

Chattooga County School District (CCSD) in Georgia, is one of the 300 districts which switched, sets as an example of this schedule. The Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) tests students at grade 11 at Chattooga High School, similar to the California High School Exit Exam, shows that the passing rate only changes minimally in English, science, and social studies averaging in the 70’s to 80’s percent passing. CCSD states that they saved about $800,000 after switching to this schedule in 2010. CCSD also found a decrease in student’s absences.

“I think it would be beneficial for our school but it would have consequences for the students” said sophomore Jean Blas.

Although, the state will require students to stay in class longer in order to be aligned with the California Department of Education Recommended and Required Instructional Time, which recommends how long students need to be in class. Or add more weeks to the school calendar to stay within the 180 school days of instruction. However, it would also give students a three-day weekend to use for leisure or extra time for school work.

“The advantage would be that doctors’ appointments, dentists’ appointments can all be made on the that day, Monday or Friday, whichever day it is off, so that would eliminate some absences here,” says DPMHS administrative assistant Diane Seiger.

Teachers themselves can find a use to this schedule for extra time to grade or even give that chance to assign a project to their students. Or use that extra day to relax from the hassle of our “small but mighty” students.

“We’ll have to (sit through) longer classes which makes not only us students but teachers even more tired and stressed out,” junior Janet Muyisa said.

“Honestly I would probably sleep, then after I’ll just hang out with friends,” junior Joshua Garcia said.

A problem that DPMHS might have with this shortened day schedule is transportation. Since the school shares buses with our neighbor Mulholland Middle School, keeping schedule with them may also be difficult.

However, if Mulholland were to also adapt to this change of schedule, they too can also benefit from this change in schedule. They always can save money for their school for other academic benefits. Savings from the one day of not having to pay electricity cost, as well as transportation.