• October 18Spirit Week 10/23 - 10/27

• September 20No School Thurs 9/21

• September 1Back-To-School Night is Thursday Sept. 7

Hopeful beginning to refined issues

Online Editor-in-Chief Jessica Salguero and Editor in Chief Cristina Jercan get ready to lead the 2017-2018 DPMHS Media staff into a new year of school-wide coverage.

Rachel Bullock

Rachel Bullock

Cristina Jercan

The new 2017-2018 writers, photographers and editors have joined the staff with true ambition, allowing for us all to create a more unified goal for the paper.

As student journalists, we stress the importance of our voices in the public media. Fake news and mistrust in the media has become prevalent in our world with President Donald Trump in the Oval Office. The power of student journalism has been spread throughout the newsroom, creating a unified force to report the truth and the news to our public sphere.

Laws like California Ed Code 48907 protect the rights of student journalists to exercise our First Amendment right and has become a vital tool for our publication’s success. As a staff, we utilize our right and responsibility to provide credible news to our community.

Moving forward and expanding upon the redesign of the newspaper becomes an exciting goal for the editors. We have opened the doors for editors to explore their creativity on their pages. To contribute more to the PBS NewsHour’s Student Reporting Labs, three new media editors have been appointed to staff. They add a new wave of creativity and expression to the publication that had been very minimal in previous years.

Our staff is ready to work together on communication between both writers and editors. Communication has become the primary goal of the publication to reach as it establishes success and improvement in its quality.

We believe the improvement of the paper is linked to the response from the student body to the content being published. It is beneficial to see the true power that lies within the audience as it is what most affects the paper’s success. We are allowing for the student body to be more involved with the content on our publication and help to communicate to us what they would wish to see in the newspaper. We plan to send out surveys to classes asking students what they would enjoy to read about in our publication and offer for them to nominate student athletes for “Athlete of the Month.”