• October 18Spirit Week 10/23 - 10/27

• September 20No School Thurs 9/21

• September 1Back-To-School Night is Thursday Sept. 7

Brief: Restorative justice implemented as way to create connections between students

In+May%2C+science+teacher+Stephen+Schaffter+leads+students+in+his+honors+physics+class+in+a+community-building+circle+as+part+of+the+restorative+justice.+
In May, science teacher Stephen Schaffter leads students in his honors physics class in a community-building circle as part of the restorative justice.

Richard Mendiola

Richard Mendiola

Rosa Lemus

The restorative justice program at Daniel Pearl Magnet High School is officially kicking off Sept. 20 to help teens connect more and help them with behavior problems.

“The barriers between grades levels will be broken,” said science teacher Steven Schaffter, who is one of the school’s staff who has been trained in restorative justice.

In the past few years, the Los Angeles Unified School District has been implementing restorative justice programs in its campuses. This programs is to help teens with behavior problems and give students a more personal approach.

At DPMHS, the goal is to have these restorative justice advisory meetings once a month. Having these meetings will bring benefits to teenagers in a way that can show them there are people just like them going through the same things.

On the first advisory on Wednesday, students will meet within smaller groups in their Houses and hold a community circle activity during an advisory, which will be after Period 4 but before lunch.

“You get to know people as individuals, not just as classmates,” Schaffter said.