• June 8Period five and six finals are today

• June 7Period three and four finals today

• June 5Tuesday is the start of finals (Period 1 and 2). It's a minimum day!

Students to receive awards at 51st Annual California Student Media Festival on Saturday

Nikita Opel and Sandra Ortega star in their short film, which won an award at the California Student Media Festival being held on Saturday.

By Melanie Damocles

Two films by video productions students will receive awards at the 51st Annual California Student Media Festival on Saturday.

Juniors Jade Ajileye and Francheska Vincents’ film “My LA311 App” is a special nomination winner for “Best Community Resource Highlight” award.

“It’s really exciting,” Ajileye said. “We feel honored as first year video production students to win these awards.”

The film is about an app created to aid in cleaning up Los Angeles. The app allows you to quickly and easily access the cities services, including graffiti removal, pothole repair and bulky-item pickup. It also has a feature that maps the closest parks, libraries, fire and police stations and leisure centers.

Ajileye is on the Los Angeles Youth Council and she had wanted to raise awareness through this video. Vincents had seen a lot of clutter and trash around her so she took footage of it. She also edited the film. Their film was also shown at the  Los Angeles Unified School District Student Film Festival on May 25.

“It is great,” film teacher Mark Middlebrook said. “They are talented students. They should win awards. I have been wondering if I’ve been teaching the right things, I guess I have been!”

Nikita Opel, Sandra Ortega, Harmony Sanchez and Gabriel Valenzuela won the California Student Media Festival’s Secondary Best Instructional category for their movie “Speak Out!” which is about not being a bystander to date rape drugs. In the film, two girls go out on a date together. They did it that way because it is not always a scary male figure.

The California Student Media Festival is Saturday morning at Zipper Concert Hall at the Colburn School in Los Angeles.