Athlete of the month: Raul Serrano

Richard Mendiola

Rachel Bullock
Senior Raul Serrano dives for the volleyball during practice.

Although changing schools took some time to transition into, senior Raul Serrano continues playing volleyball.

“I got into volleyball because of my cousin,” Serrano said. “I saw him play during his senior year of high school. He was also in a club outside of high school, which I found interesting.”

Serrano attended Valley Academy of Arts and Sciences (VAAS)  prior to transferring to Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS).

“I played my freshman and sophomore year of volleyball at VAAS, but they discontinued the sport so I transferred,” Serrano said.

Serrano plays for the Birmingham Community Charter High School boys varsity volleyball team as an outside hitter. He has been on the team since his junior year and plans to end after his senior year.

“I don’t plan on playing volleyball on a collegiate level,” Serrano said. “I want to set my priorities on my studies.”

With the price of being an athlete, Serrano faces most problems that athletes face. The load of both homework and practice can take a toll on an athlete. Serrano is currently taking three Advanced Placement classes and still manages to balance both schoolwork and sports.

“After practice, I do my homework,” Serrano said. “If I’m unable to do it after, I do my homework during nutrition or lunch.”

Serrano views volleyball as an outlet for him to both have fun and to get away from stress.

“I find playing volleyball entertaining because it helps me out whenever II have problems,” Serrano said. “Volleyball makes my mind at ease.”