• April 20Senior/Junior Prom on Saturday, April 27 from 6 - 10 p.m. at CSUN’s Orchard Conference Room
  • April 20Movie Night on Friday, April 26 at 5 p.m.
  • April 20No school on Wednesday, April 24 for Armenian Genocide Observance Day
  • April 20Spring Serenade Festival on Tuesday, April 23 at 7 p.m. in the Grove
  • April 20Denim Day will be observed on Tuesday, April 23
  • April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29

Movie Review: 007 back in action and in theaters

By ZACHARY ADLER Contributing Writer:

Whenever a new 007 film comes out, it brings excitement with it. Simply hearing the iconic theme song brings screams of joy from a legion of fans.

For the 50th anniversary of Bond hitting the silver screen for the first time, MGM has delivered a thrill ride of a birthday.

Daniel Craig is back for his third run-around as the suave British super-spy, nailing a signature vibe that makes him the best actor to play Bond since Sean Connery left the role in 1971.

The plot of “Skyfall” is pretty straightforward, with a rogue former MI6 agent, played frightfully by Javier Bardem, captured and now slowly revealing a list of agents undercover in terrorist organizations.

But the points that the film loses in predictability are gained back through the sheer introspection it gives. There is finally a more fleshed out backstory to both James Bond and MI6 head M, giving shocking revelations on their struggles in being spies.

The action in “Skyfall” keeps a constant pace, never slowing down but not seeming to be too fast. The opening chase scene that makes a smooth transition from car to motorcycle to foot pursuit is something in particular to revel at, both in the breakneck pace and the sheer originality of the chase.

One thing that MGM and director Sam Mendes treat the fans to is a constant barrage of subtle references to Bond’s history, which is easy for beginners to lose, but an absolute thrill for fans of the series. This can be in the form of small lines, or of a certain silver Aston Martin DB5 armed to the teeth. Even the theme song, a soaring ballad done by Adele, is done in the flavor of the iconic tunes done by Shirley Bassey in the Connery years.

The acting in the film is a constant game between understatement and quick banter, which both come off perfectly, particularly between Bond and Q, his supplier of gadgets. Craig is especially good in this film, playing the intricacy and torture of Bond in every scene.

With an early November release, “Skyfall” is a perfectly placed shot of action and pure escapism amid the middle of Oscar season. For fans of the genre, and of Bond in particular, this is a gift from the spy movie gods. It is a film to be enjoyed fast and go down in the annals of 007 history.