• March 23Field trip to The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens on Friday, April 5
  • March 23Biliteracy Testing on Thursday, April 4 during period 3
  • March 23No school on Monday, April 1 for Cesar Chavez Day
  • March 15Super Smash Bros. Tournament at 3:45 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15SAT School Day for juniors in the MPR on Wednesday, March 20
  • March 15Open House from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19

New acts light up the stage at fourth annual talent show

Photo by Rusel Ramirez. Freshman Cedric Esuantos shows off his yo-yo tricks at the fourth annual DPMHS talent show on Nov. 8.

By ANA PEREZ.

The audience watched puzzled and whispered among themselves while freshman Cedric Eusantos sets up his equipment.

The music starts up. His strings are set. Eusantos starts performing with yo-yos while the crowd watches in awe.

Eusanto’s yo-yo tricks have become widely known throughout Daniel Pearl Magnet High School (DPMHS). Now, he received the chance to broadcast his tricks to everybody during the fourth annual DPMHS talent show.

“Cedric’s tricks were so cool,” said senior Jessie Rivera. “I could never do that, never in a million years.”

DPMHS held its fall semester talent show on Nov. 8 in the Multi-Purpose Room (MPR).

The show began with Master of Ceremonies senior Patrick Avognon introducing the acts. Erika Lopez was the first act of the evening.

Lopez opened the show playing an original composition on the piano.

As Lopez took her seat, up came junior Robert Tapia dancing a self-choreographed rhythmical hip-hop piece to the song “Baddest Love” by AM Kid.

The audience cheered as Tapia showed off his impressive dance moves to the beat of the music.

“Robert’s performance was really good,” said sophomore Gihan Rachid. “He got so into it.”

As Tapia walked off stage, senior Jennifer Berrios and junior Jazmin Brenes took over the stage and the microphone.

Berrios and Brenes sang an a cappella interpretation of “Lean on Me” by The Temptations.

The MPR was soon filled with Berrios’ smooth voice while Brenes sang background vocals.

At the conclusion of their performance, three sophomores took the stage.

Mimicking a video they watched on YouTube, Stephanie Argote, Vanessa Fano and Kane Mara began to sway to Don Omar’s “Taboo.”

The audience applauded the girls, who were first time performers at DPMHS’s talent show.

“It was scary, but fun,” Mara said.

The final act of the night was not an official act, but an encore given to an impromptu performer.

Avognon, the student MC, concluded the show with his a capella interpretation of “Thinking About You” by Frank Ocean, pleasing the crowds’ request.

“Patrick was probably my favorite,” said sophomore Melyssa Montoya. “There’s just so much intensity in his voice.”

View Comments (1)