Editorial: Board member helping to pay for set up of umbrellas

When students thought the installation of 20 umbrellas came to a halt, Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) board member Scott Schmerelson came and is helping the school pay for the installation.

The administrators and student body officers are now no longer conflicted as to what should be done for the installation of 20 umbrellas that will add up to $9,214.40. No efforts will be needed to install the umbrellas by the PTSA.

“No fundraisers or PTSA events have been made to offset the cost,” Principal Deb Smith said.

The student body has come to a conclusion that LAUSD should help with the installation cost and ,this time, their wishes have been answered. Schmerelson has offered to pay or find a way to compensate the cost of the installation of the umbrellas.

Teacher James Morrison met with the third board member to negotiate and fight for the students that have to sit in the sun. Luckily, he was successful.

“Board member Schmerelson has indicated he will cover the cost,” Smith said.

Progress has grown, district members visited the campus last week to examine the materials needed for installation. The uphill battle for umbrellas may come to an end very soon, hopefully. In total it took $24,214.40 out of the school’s money and the district money accounts and a year of relentless negotiating to order and start the process of 20 umbrellas.

With a new kickstart on the umbrella project it is still unknown as to when the umbrellas will be installed.

“We are getting closer, I think,” Smith said.