• April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29
  • April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

CARLOS’ COLLECTION: Muse, after months in the studio, releases new album

By CARLOS GODOY                                                                                                                                                                     Sports Editor: 

The British group Muse is out with their sixth new album, “The 2nd Law,” which is a very powerful and charged album.

Known for their burst of Queen and Radiohead gloom, the band has taken a pace forward incorporating eighties styles and an odd mix of metal and dubstep.

Songs like “The 2nd Law: Unsustainable” are one of the many that have a handful of styles bunched up. Introducing the dubstep comes right after a woman’s voice says, “an economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.”

This type of dubstep is different because its mostly electric guitar along still hand-in-hand with electronically generated beats and bass.

Along with this track is the closing one, “The 2nd Law: Isolated System.” Most of this song is one to meditate in because of the constant piano playing in the background and the strings accompanying it. Although it has a steady rhythm, it’s calm and a good finale.

The album’s first song that was released was “Survival” which was a  composition of Muse that was already out and made famous before the album. This track was the official song of the London Olympics 2012 and was played when athletes entered the venues and also before medal ceremonies.

“Survival” has a very positive message and the song itself seems to empower and generate an energy through potent voices from the background vocals. As lead vocalist Matthew Bellamy says, “Race, it’s a race and I’m gonna win, I won’t forgive vengeance is mine,” and “I will reveal my strength to the whole human race.”

Some of Muse’s eighties style influences the song “Panic Station.” Most of this could be mistaken for something from another music era and is different to what Muse has done in the past, somewhere along the lines of David Bowie or eighties U2.

Much of the metal style is spread throughout the album, but one song does a little something different. “Supremacy” has Bellamy hitting the high notes, and creating a sense of anticipation in every other verse. The progression starts with a march and then with a strong and loud voice singing, “your supremacy” and the electric sounds until coming to a close.