• April 12SBAC Testing from Monday, April 22 to Monday, April 29
  • April 12Mario Kart Tournament from 3:45 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the library on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 9Concert by the Gay Men’s Chorus in the MPR on Friday, April 12
  • April 8Lockdown Drill at 10:25 a.m. on Wednesday, April 17
  • April 8Fiesta Friday during lunch in the Grove on Friday, April 12
  • April 8RESCHEDULED: Biliteracy Testing during Period 3 on Thursday, April 11

Athlete of the Month: Michella Mousaed

Photo by Jake Dobbs. Junior Michella Mousaed lining up for her shot.

By Patrick Ewing
Contributing Writer

It takes a lot to be a successful golfer: from accurate estimation of distance and precise putting to killer strategy.

Nonetheless, junior Michella Mousaed is taking on the challenge as a newcomer to the team.

Mousaed is a high school golfer who just began playing for two years, but it’s been a great hobby for her that she thoroughly enjoys.

Mousaed looks up to a very talented and successful golfer named Annika Sorenstam, who has won 90 international tournaments as a professional.

“My role model in golf is Annika Sorenstam because she is the number one women’s golfer in history,” Mousaed said.

Mousaed looks up to high-level players as role models and for inspiration, but she also appreciates the support and love from her father, who inspires her to golf each day.

“My dad inspires me to golf because he got me to start playing the sport in the first place and I think he is really good at golfing,” Mousaed said.

During the golf season, which ended Oct. 25, she has been competing in tournaments every Thursday and practicing every day of the week at the Van Nuys and Encino golf courses. They play all of their tournaments at El Cariso Golf Course in Sylmar.

Mousaed enters each tournament with a positive attitude, wanting to improve her skills each time.

“I have an enthusiastic attitude that I can always do better and I like to not give up on the tournament even if I have a bad start because some holes are better than others,”  Mousaed said.

Mousaed’s tournaments consist of nine holes against all the schools in her league.

Many of the schools she competes against include Reseda High School, Kennedy High School, Van Nuys High School and Verdugo Hills High School.

During a competition, each school is separated into groups of five allowing each group to compete against one another.

“The technique I use when I am putting, is measuring the distance before I hit the ball,” Mousaed said.

As a golfer, one must make good judgments and estimation of distance, placement and strategy for being a successful golfer.

Mousaed appreciates golf and for now considers it to be a hobby, but if any opportunity presented itself, like a scholarship to college for golfing, she would be sure to take it.

“If I get accepted for a college team for a scholarship then I would continue,” Mousaed said.