Students honor junior Rebecca Becerra

Natalie Moore

Junior Rebecca Becerra, a quiet student who often had a smile on her face, died May 18. She was 17 years old.
Principal Deb Smith announced over the PA on the morning of May 19 that Becerra died in her home the night before. Members of the junior class distributed yellow ribbons for students to wear in memory of Becerra.
A Los Angeles Unified School District crisis team of eight professional psychiatric social workers, who specialize in mental health and grief counseling, were on campus for several days to meet with students and staff who were affected by Becerra’s death.
“She was really friendly,” Smith said. “I remember her and her friends would gather in the front before school just giggling and being teenage girls. She was just really connected to her friends.”
Becerra loved music and animals, especially dogs, her friends say.
“Rebecca always wanted to go out. She loved seeing movies,” said her friend Brisa Martin, also a junior. “But I loved going to her house because she had a trampoline.”
A viewing will be held May 29 from 5-9 p.m. A mass will be held May 30 from 9-11 a.m. Both will take place at Poverello of Assisi Retreat House, 1519 Woodworth St. San Fernando 91340.
The family has asked people to wear yellow and bring white, pink, lilac, or yellow flowers instead of red.  If interested, in lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The Los Angeles County Youth Suicide Prevention Project  the Youth Suicide Prevention Program.