Athlete of the Month: Swimmer Arianna Aguayo

Meagan Ford, Staff Writer

Sophomore Arianna Aguayo is strengthening her kick and legs with the kick board to improve her technique at Birmingham Community Charter High School’s swimming pool.
Hailey Pohevitz

Sophomore Arianna Aguayo dives fluidly into the Birmingham Community Charter High School swimming pool, cutting through the water before pushing off the opposite end.

This is her seventh year of swimming and she is still going strong.

“I like that the feeling of adrenaline,” Aguayo said. “I like how I get excited when I jump in the water.”

Aguayo joined the Birmingham Community Charter High School swim team last year as a freshman after years of swimming outside of school. At 8 years old, Aguayo joined the Vipers swim team at the San Fernando City pool winning numerous trophies from gold, silver and bronze in her meets.

Aguayo joined the BCCHS swim team right away.   She  works hard to improve in her chosen event, the freestyle.

The Patriots are known for having a strong water sport teams and Aguayo is proud of being on the swim and dive team.

“Arianna is very determined and having her as my teammate really pushes me to keep going,” junior Rosemary Vazquez said. “She has improved so much since last year. She’s so much faster.”

Practices typically last until 4 PM and consists of sets of exercises Aguayo and her teammates do, which include laps in different strokes or swimming techniques. It can be difficult at times as it takes a lot of stamina to swim.

“It relaxes me. it’s kind of like… when I get in the water I feel relaxed and I forget about my worries,” Aguayo said.

Aguayo has plans to set a new personal best in the 100-meter freestyle.  Even though the Lady Patriots don’t make a habit of advancing to the city level in their competitive season, she is optimistic about the coming season.

“I think we have a good chance of  [making it to city playoffs],” Aguayo said.

Aguayo never gives up on a set and she always brings a spark of fun to practice. Vazquez is confident about Aguayo’s future in swimming.

“She’s gonna do amazing, knowing Arianna. Everything she does is amazing,” Vazquez said.