Boys tennis starts off strong

Rebekah Spector

Sophomore Jozsef Feher positions his racket to return the tennis ball during practice on Birmingham's tennis courts.
Monica Hernandez
Sophomore Jozsef Feher positions his racket to return the tennis ball during practice on Birmingham’s tennis courts.

Currently in season with a 2-6 record, the boys tennis team is putting up a good fight.

Birmingham Community Charter High School’s tennis team is in the toughest league in the city, being ranked the lowest. However, they are ranked in the number nine spot in all of the city.

“Motivation seems to come from the team dynamic,” Coach Todd McGauley said.

Despite losing four seniors from last year, the team composition has been very productive. With four freshmen on the team, two of which have previous experience, team members looking for a challenge can approach anybody.

“I’m lucky enough with this team because there has been competition from the beginning. Thirty-five people tried out for four open spots,” McGauley said.

In addition to practicing tennis, the team has been conditioning since the girl’s tennis season last fall. With team member Steven San Juan leading the activities, exercises are specialized to the day. Tuesdays and Thursdays are focused on abs and the other days are intense workouts for other body regions like arms and legs.

The team’s biggest competition this season may be both Granada Hills Charter High School with a 5-0 record and El Camino Real High School with a 6-1 record.

The season will end on April 7.