Feher makes playoffs for a third consecutive year

Alex Pineda

Junior Irene Feher readies her tennis racket to return the ball to her opponent during a practice game.
Jake Dobbs

Junior Irene Feher knows all about dedication as she reaches three consecutive years as a playoff contender as an individual for tennis she has only grown to become a better player.

“I’ve been playing tennis for about five years so I’m really proud of being able to make it to playoffs so consistently,” said Feher, who is the tech editor for The Pearl Post.

At the end of the regular season, Feher ended with a 7-3 record which was one of her best records. With this record she was set as the eighth seed in playoffs for individuals.

“I’ve been playing a lot with my dad especially on the weekends since he’s really good, just to stay competitive,” Feher said.

On Dec. 8, Feher played her first round of playoffs with an Eagle Rock High School student at Balboa Park. The first match Feher had beaten her opponent 6-1.

Due to the wet conditons set by the rain that occured last week from Dec. 2- Dec. 4, the second round of playoffs were played on the same day.

“I’m excited  because even though it’s my third year playing in the playoffs, it’s the farthest I’ve ever gone,” Feher said. “I’m nervous because I will be playing No. 1 seed but I know what to expect since I played against her during season.

Irene’s second round opponent was unable to participate due to an illness.  Granda Hills Charter High School student Sarah Nuño will be playing against Feher to decide who will continue onward.

“I have really high expectations. I hope to at least make it to semi-finals,” Feher said.