New school year’s budget allows for more positions

The current psychiatric social worker will be given more weekly hours while a new assistant plant manager evening position will be added to the staff starting the fall semester of the 2017 school year.

“We are actually doing okay in terms of the next school year’s budget,” Principal Deb Smith said. “We were able to budget for all of the positions we have budgeted for in the past.”

The new budget plan proposed by Smith to the School Site Council at its March 29 meeting plans to use budget money, in addition to reserve money DPMHS has saved up in past years, to fund all current staff positions as well as add a night shift plant manager.

“The (new) janitor’s position is a four-hour evening position,” magnet coordinator Nicole Bootel said. “We are going to be able to make sure more of the cleaning gets done and more classroom needs are met.”

Enrollment is a large factor that will determine whether or not the budget is altered. Norm Day is a date when the Los Angeles School District evaluates the number students in every school and gives the proper funding for those students. It is held on the fifth Friday of every school year and will determine the final budget for the 2017-2018 year.

The current enrollment for the 2016-2017 school year is 334 students. In order to add a new teacher to the staff, enrollment would have to increase to 372 by next Norm Day. Though both the enrollment and budget are not high, students and staff will not feel any major changes in the new school year.

Next year’s enrollment, however, is still unknown as many families are still deciding on what school they wish to enroll their child in.

“We’re still getting responses (regarding enrollment),” Bootel said. “We don’t know who’s leaving yet, for students that might not be returning. We will continue to enroll throughout the summer.”

To increase enrollment, Smith encourages both students and families to help support and spread word about the school in any way they can.

“One thing students can do is promote their school to their friends,” Smith said. “Students can also get involved in the School Site Council and PTSA and find how decisions (regarding how budget money is used) are being made.”