Editorial: Drugs on campus cause disruption in learning environment

Marijuana, Xanax and Adderall are only a few of the prescription and illicit substances that continue to hinder the performance of students on our campus.

The blunt truth is that drugs are not only inappropriate for school and teens but are also illegal. Students need to remember the fact that all drugs are prohibited on campus, unless determined necessary by a doctor.

Just this year, drug use at our campus has surged to an all time high. The widespread use of marijuana in our school’s bathrooms have caused administrators to close two out of three available restrooms multiple times a month. Students can avoid this inconvenience by simply avoiding drugs.

When a student steps foot on campus possessing drugs, they are risking expulsion from their school. A good student can easily mess up their entire school record by carrying a couple of ounces of marijuana or prohibited pills.

The problem of drug use on our campus can easily be fixed by discussing the negative effects of these substances inside and outside of campus. When school bathrooms are shut down, everyone is being punished. Other students shouldn’t be punished for the actions of those who do not care for their peers. Although the corrective actions the teachers and staff execute do limit the problem of drug use on our campus for that day or week, the problem of students abusing substances does not go away.

A better method of correcting the mistakes of students is educating them before they make their decision. Every student should be given the opportunity to understand that the abuse of recreational drugs while on school grounds is illegal and naive judgement for any scholar who cares about their future.

Drugs on campus have become a problem recently on our campus.