College Corner: What to know about college before starting school

Ani Kocharyan

Screenshot from collegexpress.com

Many students walk into college blinded by myths they’ve been told. However, many of those stories aren’t based on facts, here is a list debunking common fabrications.

Myth: Most students graduate college in four years

Truth: More than 58 percent of college students graduate in six or more years. The U.S. Department of Education has found that less than 40 percent of undergraduates complete their studies in four years. (collegxpress.com)

Myth:  You get what you pay for

Truth: Various factors go into the cost of a school, including aspects other than academics. Higher cost doesn’t necessarily mean higher value. (lifehack.org)

Myth: Standardized tests including the ACT and SAT are more important than high school grades

Truth: Although colleges take scores on standardized tests into consideration, high school grades are a better prediction as to how a student performs in a classroom. A strong transcript can show that a student is ready for college. (collegetrends.org)

Myth: Senior year of high school doesn’t matter

Truth: A case of senioritis could mean the difference between going to the college you got accepted to or having to think of a back up plan. Some high school seniors lose their acceptances because their GPA plummet. (collegexpress.com)

Myth: It’s hard to connect with professors

Truth: Reaching out to a professor can be intimidating but by taking a minute after class to ask them a question or visiting during office hours for clarification can be the difference between having people to advocate for you beyond college and not receiving a letter of recommendation. (teenvogue.com)