Boys water polo season comes to an end

Ani Kocharyan

Photo by April Serrano Sophomore Ben Sanchez shoots the ball to warm up for the game against Roosevelt High School. The Patriots lost against Granada on Nov. 7 and won’t be going to playoffs.
Photo by April Serrano
Sophomore Ben Sanchez shoots the ball to warm up for the game against Roosevelt High School. The Patriots lost against Granada on Nov. 7 and won’t be going to playoffs.

After three consecutive wins, the Birmingham Patriots lost 19-7 their second playoff game against Granada on Nov. 7.

The Birmingham Community Charter High School (BCCHS) varsity team includes junior Shayn Gaft, sophomore Zachary Gephart-Canada and sophomore Ben Sanchez.

Over the course of the last few months, the team has played 29 games and won 14 of them. The players have been working toward a stronger team and were hoping that their hard work would pay off.

The first playoff game for the Patriots was a home game against Theodore Roosevelt High School on Nov. 4. Patriots won with a final score of 17-2.

“We improved on communicating and having sportsmanship,” Gaft said.  “We’re getting better because we’re building team chemistry.”

The team won almost half of the games they have played and will have to continue working hard next season.

Before playoff season began, players were feeling optimistic.

“I was proud when we played against Granada because I made four goals,” Sanchez said. “I’d like to win the championships and improve on shooting the ball.”

Players have already set their goals for the next season and they hope it’s one of the best seasons yet.

“I’m working hard and getting better,” Gaft said. “I’m still a junior, so by my senior year I’ll be stronger and better than I am now. I just need to keep practicing.”