Athlete of the Month: Gera Pimenov

Senior Gera Pimenov practices his punches at his local LA fitness gym. Pimenov has been boxing for since March.

Daniela Guzman

Daniela Guzman

Daniela Guzman

With less than a year of experience in boxing, senior Gera Pimenov has already discovered techniques to

Daniela Guzman

make himself completely attentive when challenging an opponent in the ring.

“I don’t really feel any emotion. I just try to stay as focused as I can because it’s really important to not let any distractions take over,” Pimenov said.

Pimenov piqued an interest in boxing earlier this March while searching for a way to stay healthy through cardiovascular exercise. He began practicing at LA Fitness but currently does not have a gym to box in regularly. Nonetheless, he still makes an effort to practice at least four times a week.

Boxing can be a very demanding sport and Pimenov acknowledges that there is much more to it than simply trying to punch his opponent. Learning how to make smart decisions is critical in attempting to outsmart the opponent. A strategy Pimenov is especially skilled at is purposefully making himself appear vulnerable, only to surprise his rival with a counterattack.

Even with being enrolled in two AP courses, balancing a 3.75 G.P.A. and being employed at a retirement home, Pimenov is still able to keep a flexible schedule and  wiggle in room to play the sport he is passionate about.

“Practicing doesn’t really take that much time, maybe an hour a day, hour and a half, something like that,” Pimenov said. “I have plenty of time to do everything.”

Each passing month signifies an impending graduation date and the future seems closer than ever before, but Pimenov isn’t worried about his plans after high school. He aspires to get a master’s degree in business administration or acquire a license in physical therapy. Pimenov is optimistic he will get the chance to accomplish both.

Continuing to box isn’t out of the question when it comes to Pimenov’s plan for the years to come.

“When I’m in college, I’m going to have a lot of amateur fights, so I know for a fact that I’m going to keep boxing,” Pimenov said.