Varsity football tackles the new season head on

Richard Mendiola and Daniela Guzman

Junior Dean Khazanov tackles fellow teammates  during a practice drill. He has been playing football since his freshman year.
Junior Dean Khazanov tackles fellow teammates during a practice drill. He has been playing football since his freshman year.

The Birmingham Community Charter High School (BCCHS) varsity football team kicks the season off with a

losing streak, but is determined to make a comeback in the upcoming games.

“I’m always looking for different ways to make my game mentally and physically better,” varsity player Dean Khazanov said.

The Patriots suffered a loss recently to Thousand Oaks High School with the final score 39-20. Khazanov hopes to make an impact this season and help the team get a better record. Khazanov is even hoping to obtain a championship for the team.

“Everyday practice lately has just been drills, testing team formations, analyzing other teams’ formations, and conditioning,” Khazanov said. “My goal this year is to develop better team chemistry and improve my game as well.”

Khazanov has been a part of the varsity team for a year and has made many memorable plays throughout the experience.

“I can’t believe that it has been a year since I’ve been a part of the varsity team and I enjoy every second of it,” Khazanov said. “My favorite game I’ve played so far is against Canoga Park High School. I felt like I performed well and I got a great tackle during the game. Most importantly, we got the win.”

With the sport in season and after school practice everyday, players are feeling the stress levels rise and are having a hard time managing school and football.

“It’s very hard for me to manage school and football, I end up with no free-time and it impacts my sleep schedule,” Khazanov said. “My favorite game I’ve played so far is against Canoga Park High School. I felt like I performed well and I got a great tackle during the game. Most importantly, we got the win.”

The Birmingham Patriots currently have a record of four losses and one win and are going to face off against Granada Hills High School on Oct. 21st.

Despite the tough start of their season, the Patriots were able to add to the excitement of their homecoming game this past Friday with an enthusiastic victory.

William Howard Taft Charter High School’s varsity team lost to the Patriots in an impressive, landslide final score of 49-10. Through this win, the Patriots are able to continue into the playoffs after kicking their rival out.

“It was just amazing from every angle and I couldn’t have wished for a better game,” Khazanov said.