Boys water polo prepares for upcoming season

Amanda Jimenez

Sophomore Zachary Gephart-Canada prepares to pass the ball down the pool to his team mate.
Julia Torres
Sophomore Zachary Gephart-Canada prepares to pass the ball across the pool to his fellow team mate.

The Birmingham Community Charter High School’s (BCCHS) boys water polo start their season rough after not placing in a Camarillo tournament last week.

The team has lost a lot of their senior players from last year and has an abundance of starting sophomores and juniors. Training rigorously to build up stamina, the team is looking forward to the rest of the season.

“We lost a lot of good players so we are in stress mode,” varsity player Shayn Gaft said.

Practice is every day from 2 p.m to 5 p.m. and consists of shooting, passing and swimming drills, as well as scrimmages to increase accuracy and speed. Next week the team is planning on including the weight room in their daily routine.

After losing to Palisades Charter High School last year at the City Section Championships, the team is planning on redeeming themselves this season. They are also anticipating playing against their unofficial rival Granada Hills Charter High School.

“I’m looking forward to playoffs because we didn’t win last year,” varsity player Benjamin Sanchez said.  
Varsity’s next game will be against Cleveland High School at 3 p.m. on Sept. 19. Playoffs will start the week of Oct. 31.