Girls basketball dribble to win this season

Maia Hito

After going 5-5 last season, the Birmingham Community Charter high school’s Lady Patriots basketball team are revamped and ready to dominate this season.

Junior Erica Mallari dribbles down the court eyes on the basket ready to make a shot.
Juliette Tafoya

“We’ve been working really hard and we’ve changed a lot since we’ve started,”  junior Erica Mallari said, a Junior Varsity (JV) point guard for the Patriots.

Already on track to matching their last season record, the Lady Patriots are determined in aiming to the top of their division.

Their preseason started in mid-December, facing off against teams like Canoga Park High School and Ulysses S. Grant High School. Both non-conference home games resulted in a win for BCCHS.

In mid-January, varsity started their season winning two out of their last four games. Their opener was against the Cleveland Charter High School Cavaliers in an away game. They suffered their losses against Granada Hills Charter High School, 51-29 and El Camino Real Charter High School, 71-18.

JV has been on par with varsity, also two and four this season. One of their best games was a home game against Chatsworth Charter High School, ending in a loss of 51-14.

“We’re one of the top JV teams right now,” Mallari said.

Their next opponent will be against William Howard Taft Charter High School on Wednesday Jan. 27.

“I think we will do great. We’ve got so much better and according to my coach we’ve never been so good,” Mallari said.