Athlete of the Month: Brianna Lopez

Betsaida Sambrano

Sophomore Brianna Lopez works on her stick work during lacrosse practice at BCCHS' fields.
Julia Torres
Sophomore Brianna Lopez works on her stick work during lacrosse practice at BCCHS’ fields.

Sophomore Brianna Lopez decided to try out for the lacrosse team at Birmingham Community Charter High School during the beginning of this school year and has since become an important asset to her team.

Lopez tried out for the team because family members who had previously played lacrosse for BCCHS encouraged her to try it.

“I like the adrenaline.  It kicks in when you start playing,” Lopez said.

As an underclassman, Lopez plays as a full-time player on the junior varsity team and will occasionally fill in for team members on the varsity team if needed. Lopez plays as a midfielder and is vital to the team’s overall success. Midfielders play both offense and defense and can go anywhere on the field.

“Her speed is one of the main reasons we win,” sophomore and teammate Andrea Escamilla said.

Lacrosse practice usually lasts around three hours, which calls for determination and effort. It can take up a lot of time as well, which could otherwise be used for school work.

During a game against Hamilton High School in March, Lopez scored one goal and made one assist.

“I think I can improve on my defense,” Lopez said. “My coach and team really motivate me to play my best and continue to improve as a midfielder.”